Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Display shows engine fauilure accelaration reduced but no

Customer Question

display shows engine fauilure accelaration reduced but no loss of power has been on going for several weeks not continuous but everery now and then
Category: Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have also had to shift gear a few times to engage engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me the engine size and fuel type and the make and model of the car please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1.6 unleaded ford focus
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

as you have an error message then ideally the next step would be to plug a scan tool into the car's diagnostic port to pull off the stored fault code

however from your description I'd say that

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you