Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My brakes are constantly squealing all the time when I brake

Customer Question

My brakes are constantly squealing all the time when I brake or not just bought her 2 wks ago got full mot until next year
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

try the following:

1) strip the calipers down, remove the pads and clean out all the pad grooves and location in the caliper, smear a thin layer of copper grease on the metal back of the pads where they touch the piston and where they rub in the tracks of the calliper also clean the calliper tracks of debris and dust before re-fitting the pads between the piston and pad and also acts as a vibration damper.

The copper grease won't melt under hi temps so DO NOT get it on the brake disc or friction face of the pads, it does however keep the brakes working smoothly and help reduce any squeal as it damps things out

2) As above but fit an anti-squeal shim as well, these are a either stainless steel shim or sticky plastic pad which fits between the piston and pad and also acts as a vibration damper.

3) file a small chamfer on the leading edge of the pads as this encourages the pad to sit squarely on the disc and not point load on one edge

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you