Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My vauxhall insignia makes a gh pitched whirring/whining

My vauxhall insignia makes a high pitched whirring/whining sound when in 1st gear. what could it be. ive recently had the clutch changed
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need an answer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

does the sound change when you press the clutch pedal ?

if so then its quite likely that the clutch release bearing is faulty or of the wrong type, especially if the sound stops when you press the clutch

if this is the case you can get away with it for a while usually about 5K miles before its starting getting very noisy and the gearbox will have to come off again

if the noise is there all the time then I'd start by draining off the gearbox oil and strain it though some paper towel as it drains to catch any debris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound happens as you accelerate from standing and after clutch has been released
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK if the noise is occurring under acceleration and only in 1st gear then its quite possible that the gear is damaged

so I'd say the next step is to drain the oil and inspect it for signs of metal debris

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years