Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

My Diesel 2007 1.393 cc KIA RIO SPUN AROUND TODAY I was

my Diesel 2007 1.393 cc KIA RIO SPUN AROUND TODAY I was driving around a small bend, without notice the car spun, speed driving 30 - 40 Kilometres it was a left turn bend. I t was like I spun on black frost very swiftly spun. Car ended in opposite direction. no damage done thank god.Please urgently help need to know what s wrong just steering wheel spun and car halt ed as I slowly pressed brakes and it stopped .
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

did the steering wheel move in your hands? or did the car suddenly pitch into a spin?

if its the latter then I'd start by checking the state of the suspension bushes and bearing

To check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Matt
Yes the Car suddenly pitched in to a spin, its being driving ok since but am nervous. Just following up on last few words of yr reply separately to the axle. If so replace the bush...... cant see rest of your reply. thank you plse advise ASAP. couldn't do all that work you mentioned but so so greatly for the help. on my own rurally isolated in west of Ireland.
Can I ask would there be any worries on the Break Fluid being mid way down in container in engine?
Thanks bridget
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

its worth topping up the brake fluid but this won't be the cause of the issue

my previous reply was generally about jacking the car up so you can wiggle all of the wheels up & down and from left to right - feeling for any play anywhere

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
understand that procedures. some more info:
There is Black;; Grey stains on the BACK LEFT Wheel and Right Front Wheel. I ve noticed some Black Fluid on Ground after overnight Parked up? yes I will be able to top up Brake Fluid no harm, Thks for that. But since this is my only car and very rurally isolated in country, and husband incapacitated to drive,heart condition etc. Am very nervous when probs with car. had it serviced very recently and IRISH NCT till MARCH 2017.
There is 226,107 KILOMETRES on Clock.
Matt, if its Suspension Joints (Bushels and/or bearings worried about the price. I cant do the jack up procedure myself I would have to bring it to garage, but want to know whats what before hand!
Is Suspension Joints on say 1 side or if its both sides is that expensive for KIA Rio's in Ireland?
Thanks for help Bridget OFFALy WEST IReland
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello Bridget

if its something like a worn balljoint then its about £40 in parts and an hours labour to replace

I'd expect it to be something like this on 1 corner bu probably not more than 1

So I'd expect the cost of repair to be reasonable

also ask about having the suspension 4 wheel aligned to ensure that the geometry is set correctly

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
MattThks so so much. just on the Brake Fluid for the KIA RIO since its Diesel what type of Brake Fluid would I need to put in, Also should I check level of POWER STEETING FLUID
Also what about Anti Freeze for this car.
Thanks again
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

hello Bridget

brake fluid is pretty universal between makes and models and Kia is no exception I'd use dot 4 fluid as a minimum specification

and yes by all means check the other fluid levels - bear in mind that power steering fluid must be checked after the car has been driven for about 20 mins to ensure its fully warm

this is because it expands a great deal with temperature

anti-freeze needs to be the 'red' OAT type also known as G30 spec

such as this

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years