Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 Astra j 1.7 cdti which I love. Car has gh

Hi I have a 2010 Astra j 1.7 cdti which I love. Car has high milage 128000 and steering wheel was quite worn so zl swapped it out for a very good second hand one. I followed the correct. procedure for disconnection and reconnection of the air bag so no problems there. My beef is that there is a light on dash at top of rev counter a car with skid marks and also every time I start car and I try to turn full lock to the left it stops half way and takes considerable strength to get past it. Also if I try to drive forward the car wants to steer to the left. Only if I force it past the tight left will it drive spot on. There was nothing wrong with car before hand so expect it just needs reprogramming or something? Wot do the experts think?
Cheers
Si
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this sounds like the steering angle sensor is incorrectly set

as the power assistance motor uses this sensor to apply force to the steering

you need the dealer level software kit to plug into the car and reset the sensor

its quite straightforward to reset it all but you do need the correct kit to achieve this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect was that exactly but took it to local garage I use who has all the latest tech gear for mist cars. £20 later problem solved
Cheers
Si