Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Car drives ok but every now and then clutch pedal seems to

Customer Question

Car drives ok but every now and then clutch pedal seems to go light when pressed and will not engage gears, have to pump clutch cable to get resistance to be able to engage gear.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

The car will likely have hydraulic clutch system..in that case going by your description.air is getting into the system thus the reason you need to pump the clutch to get some sort of resistance back to enable the clutch to be disengaged to change gears properly..so this would mean obviously as part of a check..you need to have the master cylinder and slave cylinder plus the supply line to slave checked for leaks..it can maybe be worth trying to rebleed the system incase the fluid is old considering it uses brake fluid..having said that its likely either a failing master cylinder or the slave cylinder at the gearbox is weak..alot of people tend to replace both..so it maybe something to consider once those checks i mentioned for leaks is carried out..I do hope this helps