Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2007shogun,with a stutter at 2-2.5 revs, if driven

Customer Question

I have a 2007shogun,with a stutter at 2-2.5 revs, if driven normally you don't notice it but hold in second gear say going up hill when it reaches those revs it misses a beat , no problem with any other revs either low or high , pulls well and with cruises with no problem. Just ordered a service kit just to eliminate fuel filter, any ideas?
Thanks gw
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd agree that a new fuel filter is the 1st thing to try but if this is OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, the egr valve was OK as was turbo pressure, but the rubber pipes turbo to manifold were the cause as one blocked and one badly fitted but cured the problem once sorted. Thanks.