Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Kia Sorento 2006, 105000 miles. Diesel. Engine cuts out

Customer Question

Kia Sorento 2006, 105000 miles. Diesel. Engine cuts out whilst driving along, restarts after pulling to the kerb and stopping. This has happened twice in the past two weeks. Could it be an intermittent immobiliser fault?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

if when it cuts out then the dash all goes dark and it won't crank then yes its possibly a immobiliser / security issue

if the dash stays live then its more likely to be a engine speed sensor issue and if thats the case then I'd check over the wiring to the sensor for damaged insulation and corroded connections - if this is OK then consider replacing the sensor

I'd also check the condition of the ECM power fuses and relay for cracks and corrosion

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you