Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Vehicle: '07 Kia Sedona 2.9 crdi. Engine starts normally,

Vehicle: '07 Kia Sedona 2.9 crdi. Engine starts normally, hot or cold, but, occasionally, starting from cold the accelerator pedal becomes unresponsive and the engine will just idle for a few seconds. This can continue for several miles but, eventually, seems to right itself. Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't already then replace the fuel filter then check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, I’m sure you will understand that until I’ve had an opportunity to evaluate the information you’ve given I will be unable to comment but be assured that I will when able.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

good luck

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, The vehicle is back at the local Kia agency today. Personally, I feel it's a TPS problem of some sort but I await the latest outcome.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood