Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

When braking a spring tightening/tension noise comes from

when braking a spring tightening/tension noise comes from offside brake/ wheel/ area, if brake is applied in an emergency situation it does not happen, when brake is applied under normal situations thats when it happens. new discs and brake pads fitted,
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have now been waiting over 48 hours no response please advise if the question is not fully understood or is there something missing from my application ?? please advise regards ***** ***** id 16452145-343
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd suggest to check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

be working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried all the items you suggested found nothing, beginning to think the only thing it can be is a defective wheel bearing on the drivers side front ( right hand drive ) as this is where the noise comes from, my thinking is its the only rotating item apart from the brake disc that would make this type of noise when applying brakes. your comments please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if you've got any play in that location then yes I'd agree - as I've known a worn wheel bearing to then create brake noise as the brake rotor hits the pads as its allowed to move by the worn bearing