Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2012 Range Rover Sport with 28k miles. When I came

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Range Rover Sport with 28k miles. When I came driving in normal conditions and short runs it is fine. When I would be on a long Journey and braking a lot, the brake pedal seems to get hard and if I was braking coming up to a junction it is as though the car is holding back as if it is affecting the transmission. Any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this sounds like you may be losing vacuum to the brake servo

now depending on the engine spec it may use a vacuum pump driven off the back of the cylinder head to drive the serov - in which ase check the condition of the hoses between servo and engine 1st and if OK then get a vacuum gauge onto the pump to ensure is generating at least 0.5bar of vacuumn with the engine idling

if its the later system where the inlet manifold has a throttle then check for hose leaks too

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you