Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Insignia diesel 2010 107,000 miles - egr valve recently

insignia diesel 2010 107,000 miles - egr valve recently cleaned due to car losing power - turbo can be clearly heard while accelerating and runs out of power at anything over 2000 revs
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: turbo has become very loud over the last 500 miles and when accelerating uphill loses a lot or power - no warning lights come up on the dash but when you start your journey first loss of power - service vehicle soon - appears
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd 1st check the condition of the air filter as if its clogged up then this can make the turbo work very hard and produce extra noise for no extra power

also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you