Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have driven my 2005 Bentley Continental GT to Almeria

Customer Question

I have driven my 2005 Bentley Continental GT to Almeria Spain from UK. The emmision warning lamp has come on. The car judders on acceleration and under load, but drives ok when cruising at any speed. Nearest Bentley dealer is in Marbella about 200 miles away.
There are several Mercedes, BMW dealers locally. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be or what I should do about it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd say that this could be a faulty O2 sensor or a possible vacuum leak on the inlet after the MAF

however it would be best to plug in a scan tool to read off the stored fault code and so point to the issue

and also a VW dealer may be able to help as they share a lot of components so the scan tool should pick up engine codes at least

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements