Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Can you send me that message about my honda crv abs problems

Hi andrew can you send me that message about my honda crv abs problems
Andrew
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Matt its not the braking wife had antiroll bar bushes changed then vsa light wouldnt go off big loss of power so took back to garage mecanic put laptop on lots of error codes abs module error so had repaired refitted error codes cleared started car no power. lots of air going into air intake but not out of the exhaust sounds like car has asthma it will rev better when warm i wondered if abs ecu will have an effect on engine revs
Andrew
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello Andrew

yes the ABS controller is also used to control traction so a faulty wheel speed sensor can also activate the traction control

this in turn limits the engine power

so if this has happened as a result of suspension bushes being replaced then its likely that either the sensor hasn't been connected or the sensor has been damaged

so I'd suggest to get the codes read as the next step

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Matt iwill speak to my mechanic tomorrow i will get back to you if needed many thanks
Andrew
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post