Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car has two issues. 1st gear is getting stuck and i can

hi My car has two issues. 1st gear is getting stuck and i can really feel it changing gears now. Also yesterday the transmission service light came on. I did get it serviced recently and they said the gear box had a leak and that they had fixed it. However it hasn't improved any and punches into gear particularly 1st. Im supposed to be going on holiday on Monday - and am really concerned. I have seen volvo mobile mechanics advertised online and thought about ringing them - as local garages won't touch it as its automatic.
thanks rachael
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello Rachael

when the service was carried out then I'm assuming that they topped up the transmission oil / fluid?

if they didn't then that should be the 1st thing to do

and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up