Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1998 freelander 2.0 diesel ...new cylinder,pressure plate

hi all ...1998 freelander 2.0 diesel ...new slave cylinder,pressure plate and clutch fitted. mounting bracket for slave cylinder welded up and supported . drives fine when cold ,but next to impossible to change gears after 30 ,*****... any suggestions
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

I'd check that you have a little bit of free play between the pedal and the master cylinder pushrod

as if the rod isn't allowed to fully retract home then it can build up pressure inside the cylinder as things expand with heat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no pedal is fine
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok in that case I'd strip down the master cylinder to ensure its fully retracting as a stiff seal or broken spring can create this issue

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the slave cylinder and master cylinder are new .... comes altogether as a kit from the clutch pedal to the gear box with fluid inside
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its a sealed unit.......and there is fluid in it
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok thanks for the extra information

when the issue occurs is the clutch pedal stiff or floppy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
pedal is fine ...just cant get gears
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

OK then either there's air getting in the system so the clutch is then not opening or

the clutch is the wrong specification and not clearing when its all hot and expanded

I'd suggest to get it warm and then try bleeding the clutch again

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as i said it is a sealed unit ....no bleed nipple
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok

If you look to the RHS of the engine, above the gearbox, you will see a light green metallic "quick fit" connector in a black plastic line. this is the clutch line. Following it down, it disappears into the gearbox and right next to where it enters, there is a stub of pipe sticking out with a bleed nipple on it - this is where you bleed it

the other possibility is that there were some faulty clutch pressure sprung plates that were too stiff / had too hard a diaphragm but as yours only occurs once hot then I'd say its not that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi matt ....there is no bleed nipple .....slave cylinder is mounted outside the box....
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok as you say you've welded up the slave cylinder support can you post up a picture here of the slave cylinder on its bracket? you use the little paperclip icon

as I'm wondering if the slave cylinder is out of position

if it is then you could try adding some washers or spacers to move the cylinder away from the clutch a little

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years