Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just yesterday bought a kia picanta automatic car. The

Hi there,I just yesterday bought a kia picanta automatic car. The model is lx 5dr auto. I have noticed that when i am pulling off from traffic lights, there is a judder when i press the accelerator pedal. The judder varies in intensity during each traffic light stop and depending on incline of the road, but what i can confirm is that there is still a slight judder even on a streight road. It only happens when i first press the gas pedal when im ready to pull off at a green light, no other time. Now is this normal? Or does it sound like something i should get checked out?I have noticed that it occurs more during the 2nd half of the drive though. When i pull out from my driveway its fine, and even the first 3 traffic light stops will be smooth take off, but then i notice it after 30 mins of driving.Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
I'd 1st check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

If thats OK then I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi matt, thanks for coming back me, your answer is way too detailed, im not a mechanic so i wouldnt know where to start. But let me describe it another way. Its a tugging sensation, like on a manual when you release the clutch too early. Basically all i want to know is that is what i am describing a cause for concern or is this common among small automatic cars? Or am i driving the car wrong?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

I'd say that its quite likley that the transmisson either is low on oil or it has a broken mount

so I'd say its best to get it to a small garage in short order

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks pal.