Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Focus Zetec 1.0L Ecoboost - car suffered a catastrophic

Ford Focus Zetec 1.0L Ecoboost - car suffered a catastrophic engine failure when coolant entered the cylinder bores. No warning whatsoever - no warning lights, no change on temperature gauge. Car outside of warranty. Ford claim the car missed a service and say they are not responsible. Could this problem have been detected/prevented when a technician was doing a routine oil and filter change ie the service missed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

this sort of failure could not have been picked up with a routine service

for a sudden water jacket leak to occur then its likely the engine was corroding from the inside due to low anti-freeze levels

however the life of the coolant is meant to be 10 years so I'd say its well worth getting in touch with Ford customer service and enquiring further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ford are hiding behind the fact that the car was not serviced in accordance with the service schedule (I agree my Daughter was lax in getting it serviced) but I have maintained no annual oil and oil filter services would have prevented this failure. The car had a 12500mile service when purchased in 2014 she missed the 2015 service but the car had only reached 24000miles when the failure occurred in April 2016. Oil and water levels were checked regularly. Water is now present in the cylinder bores. Do I have a good case that the engine was faulty / not durable?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

I would argue that as the failure was coolant related which is a non service item then yes they have some responsibility

you will probably be more successful trying to get a contribution towards the repair than trying to recover the whole cost

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Matt - I think I have all the information I need now.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

understood good luck