Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1964 fiat 500 not driven it for 4-5 months. Started it up

1964 fiat 500
not driven it for 4-5 months. Started it up but when press clutch cannot get the gearstick into gear - very loud noise if i try??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like the clutch is stuck on, so the plate remains attached to the flywheel.

you can try leaving the clutch pedal pressed down overnight with a piece of wood or similar jammed between the pedal and seat base.

If its no different in the morning then you're going to either have to remove the gearbox and prise the plate off manually or get a little brutal with it and start the car with it in gear.

I'd go for the latter as if this doesn't work you'll have to take the box off anyway.

If you do try try to start it in gear then make sure you've got plenty of room for manoeuvres and accelerate hard then try pumping the clutch. It'll probably go free with a bang and might feel a little rough for the next few gearchanges but keep changing gear and it should smooth out

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you
I am not a mechanic. Is there anyway of getting to the clutch cable and pulling at that to release it if necessary. I am now trying the wedging the clutch down and see how we go.If I start if in gear, I put it in gear start it - do I have my foot on the clutch when I do thisThanks
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

you can get to the clutch cable form under the car but its very difficult to pull on and you'll apply the most force with the clutch pedal ( unless the cable is broken)

but if the plate is stuck then the pedal will feel more or less normal as issue isn't down to the spring plate it just the middle friction disc thats stuck on

so if you do decide to try and drive it off then yes have your foot on the clutch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried the first option of keeping the clutch pressed down over night - no gogoing to try the option of starting the car in gear with clutch down. do i slowly release the clutch once it has started. at what stage might it become unstuck
thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

the key thing to remember is the car will lurch forward and try to drive if it starts so

yes put the car into 1st and with your foot on the clutch fully down try and start it

if the car starts and moves drive it around with your foot still on the clutch and accelerate hard

it should then release with a 'bang' then continue to drive it around changing gear and pressing the clutch as normal

it will be rough at 1st but hopefully the clutch will then polish up