Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Mercedes Benz SLK 300 engine cuts out without warning -

My Mercedes Benz SLK 300 engine cuts out without warning - sometimes straight after starting and sometimes whilst idling or coasting. Computer diagnostics records the event but does not recognise it as a fault. Any ideas please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump atthe tank.

1stthing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time orcould not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.