Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My gearbox seems to be very loose and while it will shift

My gearbox seems to be very loose and while it will shift into the gear positions, it seems to only be a high gear - when I slowed down and then pulled away it was really sluggish like I was in 3rd gear. I managed to drive home and was able to go a steady 65mph at around 3500 rpm...
Category: Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should have added that it's a Mini - 54 plate so 2004/2005
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

I'm assuming that this is the automatic CVT gearbox

these are very sensitive to the oil condition so the 1st thing to try is replace the oil with fresh

and its also worth checking the amount of voltage present on the battery as its also common to have issues with the battery sulfation which then results in the alternator overcharging and a battery voltage of 14+ volts ( with the engine running)

this results in issues with gearshift quality and general operation

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's great. Thanks very much for the advice, turns out it's a cable issue. Thank you!