Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I acquired a civic 1.4 petrol 2014 recently its very nice to

I acquired a civic 1.4 petrol 2014 recently its very nice to drive however I think the suspension system or shocks are not as good as my old car a Toyota auris it seems to pickup every bump on the road. Is there a problem or is this normal
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

the civic is a more stiffly sprung car so it won't ride quite as well but it will handle and corner with more control and generally feel more 'sporty'

however there's some checks you can do to ensure that the car is riding as well as it can

The first thing to do is check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker, if this is OK then its also worth making sure that the suspension geometry is correct as if a camber or rear toe setting is out then this would make the car feel nervous,

If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for example

This is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fitted

If you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.

ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering response

Its also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy