Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician

I have a 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Titanium economic. 22,400

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Titanium economic. 22,400 miles over 2000 done from last October all went fine all winter and early spring in the last month or two the Economic stop/start has stopped working intermittently. I have charged the battery for over 6 hours with a 6 amp charger set on low. Paid my local Trusted Ford garage £48 to re-gas the air conditioning as I read on a forum both of these can affect it working. I have air-conditioning turned off and now discovered it will only work when interior temperature is set at 19 degrees or above. In April it worked at 16 degrees after a mile down the road.Have you ever heard of this problem ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it costs me nothing please close this question as I have got nowhere even with two Ford garages.
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 months ago.

Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to today

Do you still require assistance with this concern

Kindest regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please forget that I ever queried this problem. As you have came up with no solution I'm assuming you will not be charging me any fee. Declan.
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 month ago.
Hi Declan good evening to you
I replied asking if you still needed assistance which I would be more than happy to give youAs I deal with all stop/start concerns in my dealership i would be confident of resolving this issue for youKindest regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My Ecoboost/Economic stop/start system works only when the interior temperature is set at 19.5 or 20 degrees and above. I don't use air conditioning, demister or headlights and had a good long hard drive 35 miles approx and aircon. regassed by a Ford garage a fortnight ago. No difference even after charging the battery 9 hours with a 6 amp charger. All still the same. It used to work at 16° in spring.

Hi there Declan good evening to you

and sorry for the delayed response

Ok nearly all stop/start concern I see lie with the battery state of charge (SOC)

This is nothing to do with the battery condition itself

The battety SOC is a calculation(algorithm ) that is carried out by the BCMii to determine the SOC

There is a sensor on the negative terminal of the battety called the battery monitoring Sensor

This takes temperature /charging voltage /time into considerstion the BCMii then used the data and calculates the SOC of the battery

If the SOC is below 72% the stop start will not function

This can be checked using the ford ids diagnostic computer

You will find yours will be in or around this region

We find that vehicles that do short cold journeys are more prone to a lower SOC

regards ***** ***** temperature issue impacting the stop /start this is doing what it should do (in a way I will describe further down the post )

Basically the BCMii sees a voltage drop and then says to itself it doesn't need the stop start as there are more important functions that are needed

An example is that if the vehicle has stopped at a junction and the engine cuts out and you press the heated screen button it will start up immediately as it sees a more important task than the stop start

This system is very complex and clever

There is also a self test for the stop start that lets you know it's working but sonething is inhibiting it most commonly the SOC is below 72%

Back to the temperature issue although it's the correct operation ford have released software updates for the BCMii and HVAC modules to widen the parameters and allow further temperature fluctuations (these updates can only be done using fords ids )

In nearly all cases with low SOC we deep cycle charge the battery in place overnight this brings the SOC up to around 96%

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a evening