Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a whine comming from my citreon c4 semi auto gearbox

Customer Question

i have a whine comming from my citreon c4 semi auto gearbox ithink its from the gear box any way if i coast knock it out of gear the noise is still there ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

If the noise is still there when coasting in neutral..then that can be more than likely a issue within the gearbox itself with regards ***** ***** failing bearing..its not an uncommon issue on these cars ESG boxes with failure on the final drive/diff bearing...sometimes depending on the extent the wear is..dropping the oil out the gearbox to check for filings would confirm wear within the box..of course this would mean the gearbox having to be removed and totally stripped down and replacement of every bearing inside.which can be very costly time wise or seek out another gearbox to be installed..id say certainly have it confirmed first on a lift with the car in gear and running so that the noise can be confirmed as coming from the gearbox..but as above going by your description its certainly sounds like bearing internally failing....I do hope this helps