Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2006 td6 rangerover was hard starting recently. i drove

my 2006 td6 rangerover was hard starting recently. i drove it really fast one afternoon and it wont start back. the mechanic got it started by doping or using quick start method. when it starts its fine. no loss of power ,no smoking or any thing. all injectors pumps, are fine. dianostics show no faults. its not starting now from quick start. the mechanic now saying i need an engine may be low compression. does a diesil engine with 150000km with no signs of smoking or loss of power develops low compression overnight? please help
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the injectors seems to be fine. A new high pressure pump was also install because we saw a small leak on the old one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if you have no loss of power then I doubt its a loss of compression and you could also do a compression test across all cylinders to confirm this

but

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideallymeasure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered a new starter which will arrive in a few days. Then we will do compression test. I doubt it glow plugs because it refuse to start even after engine is hot. We will ck other things and get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt sorry for long delay. The guys fitted the new starter and that started it. They did compression test and had reading of 300psi to 280 psi. Is this good?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

that compression figure is good and the spread is also acceptable

I'd suggest that the next step is to do the 'run back' test to check if any injectors are leaking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.