Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

2003 Ford Mondeo Ghia Estate Car. Speedo goes to zero and

2003 Ford Mondeo Ghia Estate Car. Speedo goes to zero and dash lights come on. When engine compartment warms up, all self-corrects.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to todayIs this happening on start up or when driving
What dash lights appear on when speedo drops to zeroIs your vehicle a manual or automaticKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear from you Brian! Didn't notice which dash lights came up. Happened when driving. Car is manual.

Hi there and sorry for the delayed response

ok how many times has this happened

When it happened did you need to key off and back on to get speedo operating again or did it cone back to life itself

Did you notice if the mileage display showed -----

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian. Twice. Kept driving. Came back by itself. Didn't notice mileage reading. Mac

Hi Mac thanks

Ok the most common cause of this issue is caused by the either a faulty abs sensor or more commonly a fault within the abs module causing it to lose communication with the cluster

The abs module receives speed Donald from all 4 wheels then calculates the speedo reading before sending the information to the cluster

The first thing that must be done before continuing Mac is a diagnostic fault code check of the abs module and PCM

As commonly the PCM will log codes relating to a loss of communication with the abs module indicating an internal fault within the abs module

But more clarity will be shown once the fault code check has been done

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward Mac please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you (this post won't close even after rating

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian. Would you think the trouble might be moisture in one of the fuse boxes. The moisture being driven off by heat in the engine bay when running?

Hi mac

The only issue I have seen regarding moisture in fuse box was in the 2 lower plugs of the fuse box in the passengers footwell but it didn't impact the speedo it was a air conditioning concern but there was corrosion in the lower plugs of the fuse box from memory it's a green square plug that caused issues

Battety vomtage issues can also cause speedo /abs module issues ie if charging vomtage was low the abs module would drop out but the battery light should illuminate when this happens

We would need to start with a fault code check as this is imperative to correctly diagnosing these intermitent issues

Kindest regards ***** ***** Mac

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian. I don't think we can go a lot further with this. Thank you for your time. Chiz Mac

Hi there Mac no worries

As you will understand Some concerns are more difficult to diagnose online than others

If you need any further assistance going forward with this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to try and assist you

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian