Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Audi TT the steering isn't feeling right, I had the

Hi my Audi TT the steering isn't feeling right , I had the steering rack done a couple of years ago , I've checked the fluid but it's fine any ideas ?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I turn the steering wheel almost full lock it started to go stiff then I turn it back it becomes loose ?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

if the steering is binding up on full lock then it could be an issue with a suspension joint or steering knuckle thats seizing up

So I'd suggest to jack the car up so the front wheels are off the ground and then move the road wheel from lock to lock by hand and shake the wheel from side to side at the extremes of movement and in the middle to try and find any play in the joints

and also try spraying the steering column universal joint with some penetrating oil to see if this effects anything

if it does then replace that joint

also

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years