Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Astra 1.9. Over the past 4 weeks I have had

I have a Astra 1.9. Over the past 4 weeks I have had problems starting it. When I turn the key nothing happens. It will not crank over. Radio nod lights etc all ok. I had a new starter motor in Nov 2015. Just had a new one fitted but still happening. Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we have covered all the points that you have made. The AA have checked it twice and they seem to think that it's the starter motor. Just had a new one put in on Tuesday. Broke down on Thursday. So they have replaced it again. But because it was running when I took it to garage, they cannot find a fault. They said the two starter motors could have been faulty but seems unlikely