Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just bought a VW transporter 2006 2.5 turbo. Lost power

I just bought a VW transporter 2006 2.5 turbo. Lost power when accelerated Replaced a sensor as advised however problem still there. Happens more during day driving than evening. Also when accelerated there is a noise "coming from behind the dash area in the centre"
Category: Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The diagnostic check said there was a problem with the sensor, it was replaced with SEB 1289 MAP sensor. When the check was repeated the problem was resolved. I'd like to know what the problem really is and cost and difficulty of fixing it.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you close the question will I be refunded?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

do you still want an answer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Ok

I'm assuming that this is the diesel engine so, can you tell me what fault code was pulled off last time?

If there's no codes then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years