Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Volvo V70 (GK60WYC) If the driver has a heart

I have a Volvo V70 (GK60WYC)
If the driver has a heart attack (for sake of argument) how does the front passenger stop the car. The brake button is on their far side - what can the passenger do with the gear stick that won't damage the gears?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please continue to find the Volvo V70 answer.C. Roberts
Hello C. Roberts,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

if its an manual then you can try jamming it in a lower gear but to be honest unless you can press the clutch it'll probably bounce off and not go in

your best bet to slow the car is some careful application of the handbrake - too hard and you stand the chance of spinning the car and making the situation worse

to be honest its a very difficult situation and unless you have dual controls installed its going to be unpleasant whatever happens

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Thank you for having a go at my Volvo query but we are not there yet. My Volvo is automatic and has no handbrake - only a small park button between the driver and their door. The only thing in the middle is the automatic gear stick. I suspect a passenger is unable to stop the car if the driver collapses. And we always thought Volvo cars were designed to be save! C. Roberts
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks. C. Roberts
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'd agree that its an aspect thats not really considered

potentially the passenger coudl knock the gear selector into neutral at least so the engine is no longer driving

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I sent a Volvo question which was a difficult one and maybe there is no good answer to it. The car is automatic and has no handbrake. It was suggested I could put the car into neutral yes, but the car would need slowing down. I have worked out myself that pressing the Start Button twice will stop the engine but you did not find that out. So what score can I give you - I don't have a full answer but you have had a go at the question. 3 out of 5 seems fair. Thanks, *****
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

thanks for that

please use the star system to rate appropiatly

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years