Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I accidentally put 20 litres of unleaded petrol into my

I accidentally put 20 litres of unleaded petrol into my diesel audi a3 TDI year 2003, i already had a quarter of a tank of diesel in it then put 20 litres of diesel and 300 ml of 2 stroke oil into it, i ended up paying the AA £220 to drain the tank, ive filled the tank with diesel now but the smoke is so bad coming out of the exhaust that i am unable to drive it out of the motorway service station its in, well ive driven up and down some country lanes nearby for half an hour but the car is losing loads of power and the oil light keeps coming on and the smoke from the exhaust is not really becoming any less smokey. Proper stuck now on what to do, ive probably let it try and burn out by just revving it after it reaches 90 degrees for an hour now but what else can i do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 months ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response ,
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk what colour is the smokeDid you put the oil into the fuel tankRegards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
White/grey, yes I put 300ml of 2 stroke oil into the fuel tank when it was a 65/25% mix of 65% unleaded petrol to 25% diesel it's a Diesel engine. The AA then drained it but the AA man said the oil had got into the exhaust system
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I filled the tank up completely with diesel but the smoking is still too bad to drive on a road and the car looses loads of power when you go above 2nd gear

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delay in responding

Ok grey/white smoke is commonly down to oil being burnt either in the exhaust or the combustion chamber

However if oil is in the exhaust it should clear eventually after prolonged driving as its bring burnt off

If the smoke doesn't disperse after time and you still have a thick whitish smoke then it's most likely the injectors overfuelling (white thick smoke is a byproduct of raw diesel entering the exhaust

This is caused by damaged injectors commonly from miss fueling

And indicator the injectors are the cause is if you remove the injectors and the tips are wet with diesel you know overfuelling is the cause of the smoke

As with oil the smoke will get better but overfuelling it won't

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a evening

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What does over fuelling mean? Should I not of filled the tank with diesel after the AA had drained it & told me to fill it up? Is it safe to just Rev it up & let it burn the oil off or is it better to keep driving up &!down a country lane & roughly how long distance or time wise do you reckon it will take to burn out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also a flame came out of the exhaust when I was revving it up

Hi there

Overfuelling occurs when the injectors leak too much diesel into the combustion chamber causing raw diesel to enter the exhaust

This is commonly down to injectors being damaged due to the petrol (mis fuelling )

And Yes of course you should have filled fuel tank back up

If the issue is oil in the exhaust it should burn off with a good hard run(30 miles or so ) albeit it may still be slightly smokey due to residue oil lying in the catalyst

And yes it's ok to hold revs up to try burn it out of exhaust

If the thick white smoke doesn't clear we could be looking at an faulty injector putting too much diesel into the combustion chamber

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a evening

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will putting Wynn's stop smoke solution in help? im going to try and drive the car for 30 miles tomorrow so bought that stuff from Halfords but thought id ask you first before i put it in.

Hi there good morning to you

Ok this is to stop the engine burning oil and from memory is put in the engine

In your case this would not help as your engine isn't burning oil

The smoke is caused by either the oil you put in the fuel tank or the injectors overfuelling the cylinder

A good fuel treatment would be better to try and clean the fuel system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE