Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I am looking to buy a 2005 Range Rover Sport HSE, 4.4 V8.

The issue is that when you start the car, the engine seems to rev and then stop and then rev and then stop continuously. The sound is quite noticeable.
The dealer says that they had their mechanic check it over and they said it is normal for a car of this age. But I am not so sure it is, hence I am looking for further advice before making this purchase.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Certainly not normal to have the engine run like that regardless of age...could just be a case of cleaning up the throttle body itself..have they checked for PCV/breather system issue maybe broken or slipt breather pipe causing erratic idle...in all honesty i wouldnt purchase it until as such the dealer has rectified that issue...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert,After doing a good couple of hours research last night, I was coming up with cleaning or replacing the throttle body too (so you obviously know your stuff ;) )I think I am going to give this one a miss, there are plenty more on the market.Thanks for your help.