Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 56 x type jag I seem to have two problems I don't

Customer Question

hi I have 56 x type jag I seem to have two problems I don't know if they could be related
one is I randomly get a squeaking from one of the front wheels like metal grinding on metal when I turn left only.
and I loose power this as happened to me twice on the motorway when I restart the car it goes back to normal.
thanks Mike
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike

I'd say that this sounds very like a faulty wheel bearing to me

If you jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault

a failed bearing can also trigger the traction control and / or the ABS which would also explain the power loss

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my car is going in on Wednesday I've explained to them what you said To them what you said I will get back to you afterwards thank you
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

good luck

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the work hasn't been done yet garage couldn't do on Wednesday it's going back in this week I've got to ring them
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you