Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

My 1.6 90bhp dispatch would trow out smoke for 10 seconds

Customer Question

My 1.6 90bhp dispatch would trow out smoke for 10 seconds after starting and then be fine, but now 2 weeks later its lasting about 5 minutes and putting out smoke on medium accelerator on heavy accelerator trows out black smoke, runs rough after starting but fine after 5 minutes.
I was thinking maybe EGR valve. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 month ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been charged, I have not got an answer. Please refund my money if you don't intend answering.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Apologies for the delay

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

a burst or loose pipe will result in over fuelling and black smoke as you describe

If this Ok then it could be a major engine sensor such as the airflow meter or cam position sensor has failed so that the ECU is now overfuelling or injecting at the wrong point and resulting in poor combustion.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Another possibility is that the fuel filter is blocked so resulting in low fuel pressure and again poor combustion - replace the filter in any case as diesels are very sensitive to this

also check how much oil is going through the breather by popping off the intake hose in front of the turbo and checking for oil deposits. Diesels will run off engine oil so this could also be making it rich

If its been overfilled with oil it will also produce surging as the oil finds its way back into the engine

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you