Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2003 Vauxhall astra sx1 and done 111k miles but I

I have a 2003 Vauxhall astra sx1 and done 111k miles but I keep getting the ecu light come on reporting ignition misfires on single 1,2,3, &4 cylinders and also all of them but sometimes the driving is sluggish and other times at 70 mph. My garage keep changing the spark plugs and the coil but they had it for 10 days and the light came back within 9 miles and once reset came back on after 6 miles? any ideas. the aa man said that water is known to accumulate under the rubbers in the coil, go green and interrupt the charge but the garage popped that. any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

its possibly not the ignition system?

it could be a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you