Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My jaguar s type just started smoking from the exaust and a

my jaguar s type just started smoking from the exaust and a light came on my dash board saying faulty gear box.
What would that mean?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault message this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

from what you've described then I'd say to 1st check if your oil and water levels are dropping at all to hopefully confirm that you're not losing either

if these are OK then the smoke is probably unburnt fuel so the issue may be misfire related

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you