Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My kia 2014 auto sometimes has difficulty in changing gear

My kia 2014 auto sometimes has difficulty in changing gear when leaving a roundabout and completely looses power and almost stalls It is a difficult situation to reproduce on demand. Any ideas please Tom
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi..there..

Which model of Kia do you have?

So essentially its not downshifting?

You mention you've taken it back to the supplier so what have they done upto this point?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This occurs after the gear box has changed down and the vehicle will not select the chage up mode in order to accelerate 2016 1.25 auto the problem has not been resolved
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Ok..

There are alot of inputs that that gearbox will likely need to see in order for it to work..ideally most of these checks need to be done diagnostically sadly to checks those with regards ***** ***** sensors plus ensuring the pedal switch does work..they also need to see if the valve body/plate performs as priamrily thats whats shifts the gearbox into gear...but normally the first ideal checks on problems like this is with regards ***** ***** fluid level aswell as loose fitting harness plugs to the gearbox control unit/valve block...there area few sensor on these boxes so they all baiscally need to be visually inspected..having said that if its new vehicle of 2016 then any problems that car ultimately has should be warranty covered...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am satisfied with the speed of your reply but all it tells me is that there is a fault in the gear box which I already knew. It has now been diagnosed by Kia as a failure to download updates to the control systems. This has now been done by Kia. In these circumstances I request a repayment of the fee I paid Tom Wyatt
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi..there..

With all due respect..you asked for advice or ideas as you requested above..you never mentioned anything that you already knew off unless you had equipment already to diagnose this? which i could of given steps to check further...you have to understand that we can only give advice based on the information and circumstances you provide and thats what was given above.any mechanic with half a brain would do these checks above..if it had failure of download software or updated software to the tcm..thats the dealers or technician who attempted to upload the software at fault and nobody else's..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I asked for advice because I was unable to demonstrate the fault to the mechanic,I was not aware of any computor control over the gearbox and I do not have any diagnostic equipment.I finally got the mechanic to test the system without being able to show the fault.I am now waiting to see if the JUSTANSWER promise to repay the fee to a customer who was not satisfied with an answer works. Tom Wyatt