Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Yesterday my wife who has mobility difficulties tried out a

Customer Question

Yesterday my wife who has mobility difficulties tried out a Civic Tourer and found the seat was too low. As the front passenger seat is at a fixed height on the latest Civic (british model) could a LHD drivers seat, which I assume, has height adjustment, be fitted in its place. Would the whole seat have to be changed or just the lower mechanism/support part.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

the more premium models of the car shoudl have driver seat height adjustment, so there's no need to hunt down a LHD version

I'd suggest to get in touch with the specialist Honda breakers who should be able to source the seat that you need

http://www.pajoe.co.uk/index1.htm

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/

http://www.azadjapspares.co.uk/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It may not be clear but it is the passenger seat I would wish to replace with an adjustable one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It may not be clear but it is the passenger seat I would wish to replace with an adjustable one
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Ok thanks for the clarification and yes in that case you're correct you will need a LHD car to get a height adjustable seat this makes it more difficult

but jap performance parts would be worth a call as they do deal with a lot of imports and LHD cars

Also I see that you've rated my answer negatively? there's no need for that just ask more questions as required

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I rated you negatively, but when I sent the initial reply it did not seem to be sent. So I thought I had to submit a rating before it would go, which I did and repeated the message and it still didn't appear to be sent. As you have replied you must have received it.
So you can confirm it will fit ? The second part of the initial reply asked whether only the lower part of the seat i.e. supporting rails/plate adjusting mechanism could be changed or will it have to be the whole seat including upholstered top part.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

yes a LHD drivers seat will fit a RHD passenger seat as all the mounting points are identical

Now regarding the mounts when you source the seat make sure that you also get the rails it slide on as the height adjutable ones are different to the non adjustable type

but where they bolt to the car floor is the same

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I contacted a Honda Dealer to get a new LHD drivers seat. They agreed with the mounting points but were not too sure about whether the connections to the seat airbag system were compatible. Can you please clarify this point.
I have received an email from 'justanswer' so I can now increase your rating.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

the seat airbag connection should still be the the same amount of wires, and type of connector but you may need to trim the security tab inside the connector to allow it to dock together

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much for the info. It was most helpful
Steve