Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Mercedes 280 GE with a 3 litre petrol engine in it.

i have a Mercedes 280 GE with a 3 litre petrol engine in it.
it is using massive amounts of fuel and will not run right and the emissions are sky high.
it has been stood for some time, maybe for this reason.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one please.
Regards Martyn
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

This could be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will be leaving the car constantly ' on choke' and not reducing the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Matt.
apologies for not getting back to you as I have been away for 10 days.
the garage fitted the sensor but it is not much better, however the one that was fitted was not for an air con system and this has an air con system although this has been disconnected.
I have a bigger problem now in that when it will run the gearbox or maybe the front diff is making an horrendous noise when slowing down as not under power.
Regards.
Martyn
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Martyn

Ok if you now have transmission issues then I'd begin by draining off the oil and as it exits then strain it through some paper towel to catch any debris

this will show if there are mechanical issues with the unit

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning Matt.
we still have a massive over fueling problem, this maybe down to me ordering the wrong sensor.
there were three , I ordered 2 of them but not the one with air con as this has been disconnected for some reason.
I shall order the correct one today and let you know if this makes any difference.
the CO 2 emissions are ok now but the hydro carbons are still too high.
regards Martyn
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello Martyn

a wrong coolant sensor will effect fuelling very strongly and I'd also check if the fuel pressure is within limits as I've known the pressure regulator to fail and so overload the injectors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt , I will order today and let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, I did say I would let you know the outcome of this, unfortunately for me this did not cure the problem, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get new injectors for it as the fuel must just be flooding by as its used about 35 litres in about 10 miles.
Cheers Martyn
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Martyn

beoffre just replacing the injectors (as this can be quite expensive) I'd say its worth taking them to a injection specialist who can flow test them and also ultrasonically clean them

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Matt.
sorry I haven't replied as your emails go into the file and I don't see them until I get to work.
I see what you mean about a specialist, but I have researched then and think they will be around £170 for new Bosch ones for the 6 off which I think a specialist may be getting on upto £100 so I think it may be prudent to get new ones.