Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have bought a 2007 fabia 1.4 petrol manual gearbox. There

I have bought a 2007 fabia 1.4 petrol manual gearbox. There is a very loud squeak moving the gear stick left/right when in neutral. The gear selection seems fine. I have taken off the stick gaitor and can see a plastic ball joint with a retaining spring. Does this need lubricating? If so, any specific grease or oil?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

If your sure thats exactly where the noise is coming from..then there is no other option but the grease the ball end/pivot on the the gearstick..its likely its dried out or not enough grease or lubrication...try white lithium grease wd-40 does it in a yellow spray can and simply move the gearstick fully left and right and grease each time the ball/pivot end of the stick and see if that helps..its certainly worth trying at least....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert. I sprayed the ball joint with GT85 lubricant and left to dry, then applied lithium grease as you suggested. It appears to have done the trick as the change is now quiet and smooth.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nigel... Many thanks for letting me how you got on ..glad to read it sorted it out...But if you ever need to ask anything or need advice then just ask..happy to help..thanks Robert