Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Volvo v50 2005 (70k miles) has just decided it does not

My Volvo v50 2005 (70k miles) has just decided it does not want to rev when started. Clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

a burst or loose pipe will result in over fuelling and black smoke as you describe

If this Ok then it could be a major engine sensor such as the airflow meter or cam position sensor has failed so that the ECU is now overfuelling or injecting at the wrong point and resulting in poor combustion.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Another possibility is that the fuel filter is blocked so resulting in low fuel pressure and again poor combustion - replace the filter in any case as diesels are very sensitive to this

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you