Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

It is Janos I just have bougth a 2002 Coupe. I have only one

Hi There, it is Janos
I just have bougth a 2002 Coupe.
I have only one thing the ask at the moment - can I get a 4 speed gearbox changed to like a 6 spead
(automatic)?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hi

can you tell me the make and model of the car please?

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Matt
Sorry for the delay with my respond. Yes the model is Hyundai Coupe Gen2 2002 2L petrol Automatic.
I just wonder whether I can install a 6speed gear box. I bought the at on Saturday and I am happy with it but it could help the mpg maybe.
Janos
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello Janos

thanks for the extra information

sorry to say that fitting the later 6 speed gearbox will not be an easy task, as the Engine ECU ar ebody control units are coded to expect certain gear ratios and the control requirements for the later box are quite different

It would need the later control units and wiring harness and these parts to then be wired up accordingly to get it all to work with your earlier car

to be honest the amount of work required would easily exceed the value of the car, so you would be better off selling it and getting the later model