Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Can you please tell me what type of and locking washers are

Can you please tell me what type of nuts and locking washers are used on the bolts that secure the manifold to the catalytic converter?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

you can't use a nylock nut as the plastic portion just melts

I'd reccommend to use something like an 'aerotight' nut which are all metal

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_Nut_Aerotight_M.html

or a 'K-nut'

http://k-nuts.com/index.php/products/hi-temp-k-nuts-metric-ecrou-aviation-haute-temperature-metrique-hexagonal/silver-plated-m10x150-plaque-argent/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. What I really need to know is what is fitted as standard. My son is being reprimanded at his work because the flange worked loose and exhaust gasses escaped.
He is being told that he should have fitted lock washers and or used a thread locking compound, but my thoughts are that, as you suggest Aerotite or Simlocs would have been used and not locking washers.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

you don't use threadlock on an exhaust fixing as it just gets too for the loctite so thats not an effective solution

a spring washer can help and these are fitted as standard on some cars but this an old solution and not very good

the modern fittings used are the metal locking nuts that I've already described and they are often a plated nut to help prevent corrosion locking it in place

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you