Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1600 Mk 5 Astra (2007) Petrol. Every one I've looked at

Customer Question

1600 Mk 5 Astra (2007) Petrol. Every one I've looked at seems to be burning oil-badly. Is this a known problem with them? If so, does the 1800 suffer the same issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

both the 1.4 and 1.6 engines can suffer from heavy oil use , even the handbook says a litre gone every(###) ###-####iles is acceptable

the 1.8 engines are better but still not to the same level as a VW of this era

ensure that they are running on the correct grade of oil as if the extra thin 0W30 is being used then this tends to make the oil consumption worse

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Matt. Just as I suspected. Piston ring problem? Does the excessive oil consumption wreck the catalyzer?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

yes the root issue is a poor fit of the piston and insufficient ring tension

the piston was revised in the 1800 to try and help the issue

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Releived! I personally own a 2010 1800 which doesn't seem to have any problem. Presumably they'd fixed it by 2010! Still not clear if the oil wrecks the catalyzer in the 1600's
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

if the oil use is about the 1000 mile per litre mark then the cat will survive at least 100K miles but you're right it does foreshorten the life

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Different vehicle: 2lt Mk 3 Astra (1996). Engine management light comes on and stays on, on a warm start or restart. Does not come on at all on a cold start - even on a long journey. What might be causing this? Is it an MOT issue?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.