Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My local garage changed the oil pressure switch on my Toyota

My local garage changed the oil pressure switch on my Toyota Avensis and in the process ruined the thread on the engine mounting, which had to be totally dismantled and repaired, costing some £800 for a £10 switch. They say it was Toyota's fault for attaching the original switch too tightly. Are they correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi..there..

Depends on their definition of being too tight..but you need to remember that the switch does need to be tight enough to prevent any oil leaks occuring..so in theory better being tight than not tight at all..obviously its difficult to say or verfiy who is correct without being there during the replacement..to see or know how tight it was..but obviously if its the original switch then it would be at specific torque the switch would be tightened at.and that would be the same across the range of engine such as yours with the same tightness...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help. I would have thought that if this was a common fault it would be known and Toyota would have advised owners accordingly. Looks like I will just have to pay up but I won't use that garage again.