Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My husband has put nearly a litre of petrol in our vauxhall

Customer Question

My husband has put nearly a litre of petrol in our vauxhall insignia before he realised his mistake . He then filled it up with diesel as we are due to go on a journey tomorrow will the petrol hurt the car
with thanks
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an answer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK with a modern diesel engine you can get away with about 15% petrol in diesel with no ill effects

as its a 70 litre tank then 1 litre is only 1.5% so you will absolutely fine

If you want to be absolutely sure then I'd say to add a bottle fuel treatment such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Millers-Diesel-Injector-Cleaner-250ml/dp/B0168KHDW8/ref=sr_1_25?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476213552&sr=1-25

that will add a does of lubricant into the fuel and help protect the pump seals against any damage from the petrol

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you