Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

When changing brake pads how do I depress the the caliper

when changing brake pads how do I depress the the caliper piston
Category: Car
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi..there..

What model & year of Kia do you have?

Front or Rear?

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Steve..I cant take phone calls right now..but just let me know the detials above and i can get back to you via message here..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
kia soul 1 reg hv09upl changing front pads and discs
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

OK..

These should be just normal single pot piston type calipers..Normally you need to open bleeder on these before you push the piston back..its not essential and you can push the piston back ok without provided the brake reservior isnt too full... id say try to open the bleeder on the caliper..make sure you add a little penetrating oil/wd-40 around the bleeder before you try to crack it open till fluid starts to drip out..put a clear tube over the end of the bleeder and into into a bottle etc..and then witha G clamp or piston push back tool .see if the pistons retracts..If not then im afraid the caliper is siezed and will need replaced...if it does retract then you may have a problem further up the line maybe a bad flexi line not allowing fluid to return back up...Does this help..if you need ask anything further then just continue