Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Why does my 2002 Volvo S80 D5 cut out at low revs? It has

Why does my 2002 Volvo S80 D5 cut out at low revs? It has been fully serviced and maintained since new. Thanks John G.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No solution yet, Shantal.My local Volvo Dealer is rather useless, I'm afraid. A mobile diesel technician was unable to assist and recomemnded a 'specialist'.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't already then consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this will reduce pressure at the main pump

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel filter replaced and it was a tad gunged up. The fuel tank was drained and refilled. Diesel cleaner added. I'll pass on the other tips to my mechanic. Thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noted w Thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years