Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Got a 2004 Shogun 3.2 DiD; alternator belt been slipping (so

Got a 2004 Shogun 3.2 DiD; alternator belt been slipping (so not charging properly? Booked in to garage next week for this). Tonight it died and had to be jump-started to limp a couple of miles home, only just made it - message on screen regarding abnormal voltage/shutting down (because of dead battery?) and once at home radio display has stayed on despite ignition off? Any diagnostic help/advice much appreciated pls.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
also the 2/4wd display on the dash was flashing the orange 'diff' light, which I've never seen before?
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

once the battery voltage gets very low ( sub 11 volts) then you will get all sorts of odd faults

so I'd begin by charging up the battery and also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the advice Matt. The battery is less than a year old. I'll check all the other bits you mention.