Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My vauxhall meriva 1.3 diesel, manual has a seized engine.

Customer Question

My vauxhall meriva 1.3 diesel, manual has a seized engine. It made a rattly noise and i was advised to have an oil change so i did and the noise went right down, 8 weeks later i went on a short journey and went to restart my car no joy! tryed jump start it no joy assisstance was called and they suspected starter motor , it was towed to my local garage and he said the same starter motor! He went to do the replacement but said he could as engine was seized up! He said it needed a new engine but may get other probleums with a second hand engine! He recommended to scrap it!... my mechanic said it could be a numberous of things such as a crankshaft,/timing belt/chain,thrown rod , spun bearing OR a seized piston from detonation etc.. Would you agree? Just need clarification please
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant mechanic could not replace starter motor ,as engine had seized up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not intend or have options to open the engine or rebuild it or replace it ! please dont suggest that , all im looking for is with out breaking the engine open do u agree its likely to be a mechanical failure such as crank shaft etc...
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

when you had the rattling noise if it was a hard knocking noise that sounded like it originated deep inside the engine and this noise went away after the engine was running for a few seconds then its likely to be a worn crankshaft bearing

if the rattle was there all the time and unchanging after an engine start then it's more likely to be a worn piston and a compression test across all cylinders and if you add a squirt of oil into each bore after the 1st test and the pressure shoots up then it confirms its a piston issue